Monthly Archives: February 2019

Reasons to Modify Your Child Support Order

Child support exists to ensure that children receive the monetary support they need regardless of whether their parents are legally married or not. As such, this legal document is enforced to the fullest extent of the law and must be carefully followed once it is in place. That doesn’t mean, of course, that there is never any reason to modify the court order. There are a few different situations that could warrant a second look at your child support decree.
1. Change in Income
Child support is based at least partially on parental income. If that income changes substantially, the child support order might need to be modified. Note that this can include “good” changes as well as “bad” changes. If one parent receives a raise or takes a new job with a higher income, the child support order might need to be adjusted. The same is true if a parent loses their job or their income otherwise drops.
2. Undisclosed Income
Because child support is partially based upon parental income, any money made that is unreported and discovered after the order has been finalized might be grounds for modification. If one parent is working “under the table,” in other words, and the other parent can prove this, the child support order will likely need to be adjusted to account for the change in earnings.
3. Increased or Reduced Child Expenses
If your child’s expenses increase or decrease, it might be time to modify the child support order accordingly. This can happen if the child’s health insurance needs to change, for example, or if expenses like private school, tutoring, or care for children with special needs become an issue.
4. New Custody Arrangements
Another reason your child support order might need to be modified is when the child custody situation changes. If those circumstances change, or if the other parent fails to pay their support as ordered, you can return to court and document the changes and request a modification to reflect the new circumstances.
If you’re considering changing your child support order, reach out to the experienced attorneys at Abear Law Offices today at 630-904-3033!