As you approach the process of divorce, you are probably hearing from friends and family that you should hire an attorney. In fact, you have likely had people recommending various lawyers who may have helped them with their divorces. With all the noise coming from so many directions, it can be difficult to narrow down exactly what you are looking for in a divorce lawyer.
At our law firm, we encourage our prospective clients to ask questions and to get know us before making any decisions. During the course of these conversations, many people have very similar questions, but they are important to the decision-making process. For example, the divorce attorney you choose must be able to provide satisfactory answers—in your opinion—to questions such as:
- How long have you been practicing family law? An experienced divorce lawyer will often have knowledge of the local court systems and an understanding of the applicable laws. A relatively younger attorney with less experience, however, may be less expensive and willing to work harder to prove him- or herself.
- What percentage of your cases reach trial? Some lawyers will try to settle every case they take on while others have trouble negotiating a solution. You need an attorney who understands the value of compromise but is not afraid to take a case to court if necessary.
- Who will be handling my case? The name on the sign in front of the law firm is clear, but is that the person who will be doing most the work? You deserve to know if your case is going to be delegated to associates or paralegals. Keep in mind that you may pay more if your entire case is handled by an experienced partner.
- What is your fee structure? You have the right to know if you will be charged every time your attorney answers an email or text message from you. Do your lawyer’s rates go up for travel or court appearances? What about inter-office conferences? Will you be charged for more than one attorney’s time even if you had no idea a conference was taking place?
- What is your philosophy on divorce? Some attorneys take pride in their reputation for an aggressive, no-holds-barred approach to divorce. Others are better known as smooth negotiators who find creative, outside-the-box solutions. You should work with a lawyer whose values closely match your own.
Bringing up questions like these are likely to lead to more in-depth conversations with your prospective attorney. Learn as much as you can during your initial consultation, so that you will have the information you need to make the right choice.
Call Our Office Today
If you are considering a divorce, our experienced DuPage County divorce lawyers invite you to schedule a free consultation today. We are happy to answer your questions, both about our practice and divorce laws in Illinois. Call 630-904-3033 to make an appointment at any one our five convenient office locations.