Child support lawyers play an important role in helping resolve child support cases during or after a divorce. The law does not oblige you to get a lawyer to assist you in a child support case, but hiring an attorney can be a good idea in many circumstances.
Hiring a lawyer is especially important if you are in the process of handling a divorce or a dispute about child custody and you and your partner are unable to reach an amicable settlement about support or custody. Here are three crucial facts that you need to know about child support lawyers.
What child support lawyers do?
Child support lawyers are family attorneys whose role is to assist you in your child support case in various ways as noted below:
- Assessing your case and offering you appropriate legal advice on the way forward
- Explaining the details of the case and what is expected at each stage
- Computing any expected child support payment
- Representing you during negotiations
- Appearing in court on your behalf
Why you need a child support lawyer?
You may think that hiring a child support lawyer is costly or even unnecessary. However, from the points above, you can see that there are many things that lawyers do which you may not be able to do on your own. Here are some reasons why you need a child support lawyer:
- If your former partner has a lawyer: To be on the same level, you should have a lawyer to represent you if the other party has an attorney.
- When the case is complicated: Some child support cases are complicated. For example, you and your former partner may have a dispute regarding issues such as custody or the amount to be paid as child support. In such a case, you need a lawyer to help you argue your case and offer you all the assistance that you need.
- A lawyer can help you calculate the amount of child maintenance: Child support lawyers know the information that is taken into consideration when computing the child support amount. Thus, by working with a lawyer, you will be able to compute the amount correctly.
- Modifying the child support amount: Any alteration that is made to the child support amount needs to be done carefully. A lawyer can guide you through the process and make it easier.
Factors to consider before hiring a child support lawyer
There are several factors that you should consider before you hire a child support lawyer. These include:
- Whether paternity issues have been addressed
- Whether there is another custody lawsuit pertaining to the same child or children.
- How child support will affect your financial status
- The child support amount that is expected.
A child support lawyer can give you priceless assistance during your child support case. Although having a lawyer during a child support lawsuit is not a requirement, there are many instances in which you will need legal assistance. Understanding what child support lawyers do, why you need one and the factors to consider before you hire them can go a long way in ensuring that you make a strong case.